I know Jesse Harriott, who is one of the organizers of this AWESOME Rosettas for Relief efforts, from meeting him at various Coffee Fest latte art competitions. He’s a super enthusiastic guy—when I heard he was putting this fundraiser on, I knew it would be an incredible event.
Make that, events. There are two being held in Louisville this month. And by the way, if you haven’t heard, there is an amazing community of professional baristas and coffee badasses in Louisville, Kentucky—these guys are doing it right! Read on…
With the March 11th 9.0 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Japan, there are now 160,000 people in shelters, over 12,000 dead and more than 15,000 missing. Through involvement and participation in international latte art competitions over the years, many Louisville baristas have gotten to know the wonderfully talented, kind, and honorable baristas of Japan. Our hearts go out to Japan, and we are compelled to take action.
Rosettas for Relief is a gathering of baristas from local and regional coffee shops who come together for the purpose of raising money for a good cause. Rosettas For Relief is about more than coffee. It’s about helping people whose lives have been devastated. The Japan: Rosettas for Relief events will be raising funds in support of disaster relief in Japan. Two events with one cause.
The first event will be on Friday, May 20th from 7:00-10:00pm, at Sunergos Coffee located at 306 W. Woodlawn Avenue. We will be raising funds for the Red Cross at the Sunergos Coffee event through:
• Latte Art Competition Registration Fees (Winning prizes of a coffee grinder, coffee, and more)
• Auctioning of Competitors’ Lattes to the highest bidder
• Silent Auction to include local art, coffee, hotel getaways, local restaurant gift certificates, coffee equipment, local music, limited run tshirts and much more.
• Roastery Tours which include an in-depth tour of the roastery with live roasting and question-answer sessions with the roasters.
The following Friday, May 27th from 7:00-10:00 pm, Quills Coffee will be hosting a second Rosettas for Relief event. Quills is located at 930 Baxter Ave. This event will also have a latte art competition. The Latte Art Competition Fee is $10 per event. But if baristas sign up for both the Sunergos and Quills competitions the fee will be $15 for both events. At Quills, we will be raising funds for the Red Cross through:
• Latte Art Competition Registration Fees (Winning prizes of tampers, coffee, and much more)
• Raffles to include local art and music, coffee, gift certificates from local businesses and much more
We will also have pour over bars serving FREE COFFEE at both events. 100% of donations from both events will go to the Red Cross Disaster Relief fund. Come out, show some love, and get a latte in one hand and some auction-winning swag in the other. Let’s raise some money for Japan!