For the second year in a row, Soyuz Coffee Roasting (SCR) will host National Barista Champions during the annual Spasskaya Tower international military music festival in a feature area called the Specialty Coffee Show Starring Barista Champions.
Appearing September 1–4:
• Raul Rodas, Guatemala, 2012 World Barista Champion
• Alejandro Mendez, El Salvador, 2011 World Barista Champion
• Daniel Mendez, 2012 Barista Champion of El Salvador
• Monika Palova, 2012 Barista Champion of Slovakia
• Francesco Sanapo, 2011 Barista Champion of Italy
Appearing September 5–8
• Chris Loukakis, Greece, 2011 World Latte Art Champion
• Coen van Sprang, 2012 Barista Champion of the Netherlands
• Ricardo Azofeifa Mora, 2012 Barista Champion of Costa Rica
• Javier Garcia, 2011 Barista Champion of Spain
• Stefanos Domatiotis, 2012 World Barista Championship Finalist, and 6-time Barista Champion of Greece
I’m super stoked to have been invited to tag along for the festivities again this year—Moscow is an amazing, breath-taking and totally wild city, and seeing it with a group as talented, intelligent and fun as this one will be an unforgettable experience, and one that I will write about for the October/November issue of Barista Magazine.
SCR is a remarkable company for a lot of reasons, undertaking the seemingly impossible task of bringing high quality specialty coffee to the Russian masses among them. I’m also incredibly impressed that SCR produced last year, and again will produce this year, one of the most unique and successful strategies for communicating the brilliance, quality, notoriety, and passion of specialty coffee and its national barista champion ambassadors to an enormous number of people: more than 46,000 people—including high-ranking diplomats, celebrities, and business elite—are expected to turn out for the Specialty Coffee Show Starring Barista Champions this September.
These two groups of baristas will share their coffee knowledge with the masses, and prepare and serve tens of thousands of espresso beverages using SCR’s Barista, Mon Ami and Paretto brands of espresso. They will also serve the signature drink Spasskaya Tower, which was developed for last year’s event and was incredibly popular.
In a special ceremony on opening night, SCR will present French singer Mireille Mathieu with a commemorative signature drink designed in her honor to mark the occasion.
The festival is an eight-evening celebration running from September 1st through September 8th, with concerts and fireworks displays, cultural and musical performances by military bands nations set against the striking backdrop of the Kremlin.
To learn more about the Spasskaya Tower festival and the nations that will participate at the event, visit http://kremlin-military-tattoo.ru.