The wonderful team at La Marzocco in Italy is keeping us on our toes with the breaking news about the Out of the Box event scheduled to take place in conjunction with HOST in October. (La Marzocco Out of the Box Milan takes place October 17–19; HOST takes place October 18–22.) Expanding on the equipment and coffee theme, La Marzocco is broadening the scope of this event to include designers, artists, musicians, and other creative types to help examine our work in specialty coffee using top quality equipment from an entirely new perspective.
For information about the truly ‘out of the box’ speakers scheduled, go HERE.
We’re super excited to have a ton more details to announce here, all about the classes and workshops to be offered during La Marzocco Out of the Box Milan. Check it out!
WORKSHOPS & CLASSES
• Join Gianluigi Nora, Master Cupper and Grader, at coffee roasting sessions, for an overview on single origins, blends and cupping, to refine one’s personal capacity to appreciate differing aromas and flavours of extracted coffee.
• The La Marzocco Accademia—a core training facility, an educational platform for new staff and clients, a centre for barista and coffee training, an opportunity for university students seeking to enrich their curricula, a platform to connect with local institutions and/or charitable organizations, a centre that will promote sustainability. Learn more!
• Meet the maker – take part at a structured Q & A session in the company of Roberto Bianchi, La Marzocco R&D Director, and specialized staff to learn what really happens on the shop floor.
• Alternative coffee brewing methods at the Brew Bar and Modbar, an innovative, under the counter, modular specialty coffee system making espresso, pourover and steam which was recently introduced at SCAA.
ART & IDEAS
In addition to a platform to exchange ideas and network with other people in the industry, Out of the Box aims also to be an exhibition space dedicated to coffee, innovative projects and art.
• Optimal coffee to be served all day, every day at the True Artisans Cafè: guest roasters and renown baristas from around the globe will be rotating on stage.
• The Barista Corner, where young and established baristas can practice their craft.
• Flip That Bar: learn the definition of the ultimate coffee experience and interpretation of the coffee shop of the future by an eager and talented group of students from the European Institute of Design.
• Admire works by Sven Hoffmann, a graphic designer and photographer from Hamburg, Jon Contino, a designer and illustrator, and George Bates, an artist and illustrator, both from the United States, as well as works of art of the London and Milan Coffee Art Project, and more.
• The Coffee Art Project, an initiative of Allegra Strategies, aims to showcase the creativity and talents of emerging artists, while engaging in a deep spirit of community among those who share a passion for great coffee and coffee shops. Emerging artists specializing in all media types are asked to submit a unique piece of artwork that connects to coffee or coffee shop experience. The work submitted can be any form of art, including painting, drawings, photography, film, design, sculpture, conceptual art, etc., providing that it has a justifiable link to coffee. The first works of art were shown at the London Coffee Fest and new works, for an additional competition, will be on display in Milan in October. Some of the works will be on display at Out of the Box to be auctioned off. The ultimate objective is to raise valuable funds for and awareness of Project Waterfall, which supports clean water and sanitation initiatives, this year in the Mbulu District in Tanzania, in partnership with WaterAid charity.
• Artists at work – see an FB/80 come alive.
• La Marzocco’s all new E-store, powered by Coffee Hit. Meet with Paul Radin, La Marzocco’s new partner for the e-store and customization program, to learn what’s in the works.
You can bet Barista Magazine is supporting La Marzocco Out of the Box Milan in a big way, and we’re delighted about being there in person to see this unique event unfold. We’ll continue posting news about Out of the Box here on the blog as they are released, so check back often!