You’ve been waiting for this for three long, barista-talent filled days, and it’s finally come: the announcement of the six finalists in the 1th World Barista Championship, being held here in Atlanta, Georgia. Finals take place tomorrow, Sunday, April 19, at noon EST.
1. HUNGARY—ATTILA MOLNAR
2. UNITED KINGDOM—GWILYM DAVIES
3. CANADA—SAMMY PICCOLO
4. UNITED STATES—MICHAEL PHILLIPS
5. IRELAND—COLIN HARMON
6. REPUBLIC OF KOREA—LEE JONG HOON
From left to right, Canada, U.S., U.K., Hungary, Ireland, Korea
Wow… some thoughts…
• Neither Hungary nor Korea have ever made the finals
• The highest the U.S. has ever placed is 2nd (Heather Perry in 2007)
• Both Ireland and the UK have won before (James for the UK in 2007, Stephen for Ireland in 2008).
• Canada has made the finals 5 times
• Sammy of Canada is the only one of these six to be a repeat finalist
Wow… of the six finalists,
Colin of Ireland (above)
Mike of the U.S. (above)
Sammy of Canada (above)
Gwilym of the U.K. (above)
Attila of Hungary
Truly exciting. Tune in tomorrow for the live feed and more blog coverage. We’ll all wait excitedly to see who will become the 10th World Barista Champion!