For the second year, the Barista Guild of America and Barista Magazine are teaming up to offer baristas a special opportunity to attend the BGA’s annual Camp Pull-A-Shot, with the 2011 Camp Scholarship Program.
Recognizing the fact that many baristas face financial challenges in attending the annual coffee retreat, the Camp Scholarship Program was developed by the BGA Executive Council and Barista Magazine to provide travel, room and board for free to a barista who deserves to attend Camp and needs support in order to do so.
Baristas are invited to submit video entries to be considered for the Camp Scholarship Program. Entries should communicate why the barista deserves to attend Camp for little or no cost: for example, has the barista volunteered for any SCAA sanctioned events? Is he/she active in promoting quality at the café where he/she works? Baristas are encouraged to be creative in exemplifying why they deserve this opportunity. Videos should convey examples of how this barista is committed to promoting excellence and coffee education in his/her café and community.
Camp Pull-A-Shot will take place October 24–27, 2011, at El Capitan Canyon, a beautiful nature lodging resort 20 miles north of Santa Barbara, California. For details about the activities offered at the 2011 Camp Pull-A-Shot, download the brochure at http://baristaguildofamerica.net/camp.html.
First Place: Airfare (domestic), room, board, and registration to Camp Pull-A-Shot, plus one-year subscription to Barista Magazine
Second Place: $100 off registration to Camp Pull-A-Shot, plus one-year subscription to Barista Magazine
Third Place: Barista Guild of America track jacket, plus one-year subscription to Barista Magazine
SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM RULES
• All video entries must be emailed to Sarah Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org by September 26. Videos will be posted to Barista Magazine’s blog, Pasteboard (baristamagazine.com/blog) as they are received.
• First, second and third place winners will be announced on Barista Magazine’s blog and the BGA blog on September 30, 2011
• Videos must be no longer than three minutes.
• Videos will not be judged based on professionalism of shot footage.
• Videos must communicate why the barista deserves to attend Camp Pull-A-Shot
• Videos will be judged by the members of the Barista Guild of America Executive Council. Council members will each vote for a first, second and third place video. Votes will be tallied, and first, second and third places determined by how many votes each video receives.