There’s truly no way you can do it all this week in Seattle during the SCAA show and all the events, parties, lectures, and specials being held in conjunction with it. We’ve been keeping lists for months of the things we absolutely must do between April 23 and 28, when we’re in Seattle to be with our coffee family. We thought we’d share this list with you, in case you’re feeling overwhelmed.
THURSDAY, APRIL 24
• Watch the first day of the inaugural U.S. Latte Art Championship from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Get a drink at Corretto, a new bar and cafe where Slate Coffee Roasters’ Brandon Paul Weaver has created a custom coffee cocktail menu. 7 a.m.–4:30 p.m. daily, 416 Broadway East.
• Don’t miss the annual Barista Guild of America Thursday Night Throwdown taking place during the welcome reception at the SCAA show. From 7–10 p.m., baristas can pour latte art to win big cash. Taking place in the main hall of the convention center.
• The After Party: Baratza , Batdorf & Bronson, Blue Tiger Coffee, Bonavita, Caffe Ladro Espresso Bar & Bakery, Espresso Parts, Espresso Supply, Inc., Jc Coffee Importers Dias, La Marzocco USA, Roast Magazine, Seattle Coffee Works, Synesso, Zoka Coffee Roaster & Tea Company are coming together to throw a big old party open to anyone over the age of 21! Open Bar – 5 bocce courts – food – t-shirt give away – and all your favorite coffee people. Taking place at Von Trapps, 912 12th Ave.; 8 p.m. to midnight.
FRIDAY, APRIL 25
• Anytime: Check out the four custom La Marzocco GS/3s designed by Jacob Ellul-Blake, on the Skybridge of the Convention Center.
• 9 a.m.–3 p.m.: Round one of the U.S. Latte Art Championship continues*
• Head to the Pacific Foods booth #15114, to enter the Barista Series Almond Latte Art Throwdown for your chance to win $500! Competition takes place all day Friday and Saturday, but signups for the competition are first come, first served, so get your name on that list early! For all the details about the competition, go HERE.
• U.S. Barista Championship begins! Round one will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.*
• Gather at 5:15 p.m. for the announcement of the finalists in the U.S. Latte Art Championship; the semifinalists in the USBC; and the winner of the U.S. Cup Tasters Championship*
• Tony’s Coffee is hosting a Coffee Beer Social at their cafe! 7001 3rd Ave. NW; 6 p.m.
• Also: Cafe Imports and Barista Magazine are hosting a cocktail shindig called the Partly Sunny Party downtown at an undisclosed location from 6–8 p.m. Want the 411? Just ask a member of Cafe Imports’ team or the Barista Mag crew for details.
• Finally, last but certainly not least will be the exciting and amazingly fun United States AeroPress Championship, presented by Aerobie and Stumptown Coffee! Also sponsored by Barista Magazine and Baratza, this event is gonna be THE place to be: come cheer on competitors, drink tasty beers, hob nob with your coffee peeps, and just generally git down!
SATURDAY, APRIL 26
• Semifinals of the USBC will be held from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.*
• Open House for Alliance for Coffee Excellence, where you can mingle with Cup of Excellence winners and jurors, learn more about the barista program within Cup of Excellence, and drink CoE coffees from the brew bar. 9:30–11:30 a.m., Room 605, Convention Center.
• Go to Nuova Simonelli’s booth, #4015, and meet Irish Barista Champ and all-around awesome guy, Colin Harmon, as well as Jim Seven—that is, James Hoffmann—himself! James and Colin will show you the gorgeous new Black Eagle espresso machine and generally charm your socks off. Ongoing throughout the show.
• Finals round for U.S. Latte Art Championship, 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.*
• At 4:15, the finalists in both the USBC and the U.S. Brewers Cup will be announced.*
• Coffee-beer fest! Head to Burgundian, a gastropub in Tangletown for a coffee beer fest hosted by Tony’s Coffee featuring beers made with coffee including Stumptown, Kuma, Conduit, Tony’s, and many others! 6 p.m., 2253 N. 56th St.
• World Premiere of “A Film About Coffee”. As written about in Barista Magazine, this film has been exhaustively researched and impeccably produced. It will screen at 7 p.m. at the AMC Pacific Place 11, 600 Pine St., Seattle. Advance tickets can be purchased HERE. Tickets are $15, and include a cup of Rwanda Huye Mountain Coffee sourced and brewed by Stumptown Coffee Roasters.
• Roasters Guild Party: Hosted by Roast Magazine,bthe annual event will be held this year at World Sports Grille. Food and drinks and lots of fun! 7 p.m.–1 a.m.
731 Westlake Ave. N.
SUNDAY, APRIL 27
• 10 a.m.–1:45 p.m.: Watch the finals of the USBC and the U.S. Brewers Cup!*
• 2:30–4 p.m.: Awards ceremony for USBC and U.S. Brewers Cup*
• The Barista Guild of America’s annual party will take place at Trinity Nightclub and is open to everyone. Big ups to Dalla Corte, the official sponsor of this party! (over age 21 please). 7 p.m.–? 111 Yesler Way.
* Events take place in the Activities Hall at the SCAA show inside the Washington State Convention Center