Happy Hanukkah, everyone! In honor of the first day of Hanukkah, we wanted to share with you news of Landwer’s Coffee in Tel-Aviv, which is one of Israel’s leading coffee roasters.
Established by Moshe Landwer in 1919 in Berlin, Landwer Coffee operated as a small cafe and roasters until 1933, when the Nazis came into power in Germany, and the Landwer family fled to Tel-Aviv, where the company because the first coffee roaster in Israel.
Landwer’s Coffee was established on Alenbi Street in Tel-Aviv first as just the roaster, and then adding a cafe soon after. In 1964, Landwer’s moved its roasting operation to the city’s industrial region where it occupied a hangar space that is 1,000 square meters.
In the early 1980s, Moshe’s son, Shmuel, sold the family company to the Federman family. The company continues to service Tel-Aviv’s growing coffee-drinking population as one of the two largest coffee roasters in the country. Still, Landwer’s maintains the intimate, neighborhood-coffee feeling—now updated with a contemporary menu, Unic espresso machines, and craft-roasted coffees—that made it so popular almost 100 years ago.