Happy Humpday, everyone! Only a few days left until another glorious summer weekend! I loved summer so much as a kid because the season meant camp! I loved going to summer camp, playing horseshoes, singing songs, getting into mischief. Those of you who went to camp as a kid, you know what I mean.
And I’m not just waxing poetic for no reason here—this week’s Humpday Giveaway prize has everything to do with camp! There is a mighty generous person out there in the coffee community who wants to do something brilliantly kind for one of you passionate baristas out there: she wants to help get you to the Barista Guild of America’s camp in Southern California, October 13–16.
Unfortunately, the high cost of registration coupled with the lost wages a barista has to suffer make Barista Camp totally unavailable to a lot of baristas out there. So this wonderful, generous person who wants to remain anonymous is going to help you along the way: she’s offering $559 toward camp registration for one lucky person.
• For BGA members, that means you would be responsible for the $300 difference (camp registration for BGA members is $859)
• For SCAA members who are non BGA members, that means you would be responsible for the $400 difference (camp registration for SCAA members who are non BGA members is $959)
• For those who are neither SCAA members nor BGA members, that means you would be responsible for the $500 difference (camp registration for non SCAA and non BGA members is $1,059)
In addition, the winner will be responsible for his/her own transportation to camp. Here is information about the location of camp.
So let’s review:
BECAUSE THIS IS A DIFFERENT KIND OF PRIZE THAN USUAL, we ask that people who enter are aware of the following:
• You must be able to come up with the additional $300 (or non BGA/SCAA price difference) for camp registration.
• The donor of this awesome prize will send the $559 directly to the BGA toward the winner’s registration. That is to say, the winner of this week’s Humpday Giveaway will not win $559 cash.
OK, only a few more notes to go over, and then it’s on to the trivia contest:
Humpday Giveaway Rules
—Answer the trivia question by referencing the current issue of Barista Magazine. If you don’t have a copy, you can look at the whole issue for free online by going HERE.
—Leave your answer plus your FIRST and LAST names, as well as your country of residence, into the blog comments section.
—Answers may be submitted between 7 a.m. PDT on Wednesday through 6:59 a.m. PDT on Thursday.
—The names of those who submitted the correct answer will be entered into a drawing, and Barista Magazine will randomly select one name, which will be announced on Thursday at 10 a.m. PDT right here on the Barista Magazine blog.
OK, guys—ready to play Humpday Giveaway? Let’s do it!
QUESTION: WHAT KIND OF BREWING DEVICE DID ERIN MCCARTHY USE TO WIN THE WORLD BREWERS CUP CHAMPIONSHIP IN MELBOURNE?
Good lucky, everyone! Someone’s going to camp!