My pal Josh Taves of Dogwood Coffee just wrote to tell me about a really cool event that’s set for July 20 in Thornton, Colorado: It’s All About Coffee Lecture & Forum!
Hosted by the Rocky Mountain Craft Coffee Alliance—which is a community-building group originally started by Chris Schooley and now run by Miguel Vicuna and James Lopez—the event will bring together eight presenters who will speak on a variety of topics all relating to coffee. From such diverse backgrounds as science, philosophy, and customer service, the roster of speakers includes the following:
• 2011 North Central Regional Brewers Cup Champion Jonathan Jarrow
• Scott Rojohn: Josh describes Scott as “an insanely smart ex-aerospace engineer who is retired and has a commerical roaster in his basement (a Diedrich IR-7 with afterburner, just for fun, he doesn’t sell his coffee, and a full espresso bar in his kitchen (Synesso Hydra 2 group). He is one of the most brilliant tech guys I have ever met.”
• Chris Schooley who is known for his extensive work for the Roasters Guild
• Jessica Brooks, head trainer for Allegro Coffee, Q-Grader, and longtime USBC judge
• Sarada Krishnan, director of horticulture at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Read more about her research into preserving coffee gene pools HERE.
• Josh Taves of Dogwood Coffee, who was in the top three in the uber-competitive North Central Regional Barista Championship this year
And others to soon be announced!